[protege-user] How to Relate Different Classes

Michael DeBellis mdebellissf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 08:31:30 PST 2019

Samoc and Dave, here's my 2 cents: I think this is a common issue with
modeling, what to make a class and what to make an instance. I think it
becomes clearer when we start talking about real examples rather than Drug1
and Drug2. So if instead of Drug1 and Drug2 we say MentalHealthDrugs and
ADDDrugs those are probably going to be classes where as Adderall, Ritalin,
and Vyvanse are probably going to be instances of ADDDrugs.

Note though that it depends on your particular application. So if you had a
Pharmacy system then even Adderall, Ritalin, and Vyvanse could be classes
and the instances could be things like JohnSmithRitalinFulfilment3 which
would refer to a specific transaction where John Smith got a prescription
for Ritalin filled on a certain date, with a certain doctor's okay, etc.

There is no one right answer, it all depends on the application and use
cases.