[Special Fees] Reminders for groups applying for Special Fees and petitioning

Quinn Slack sqs at elections.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 23 04:37:49 PST 2010

To all groups applying for Special Fees who will petition:

1) We have already received and posted many groups' petitions. The
petition deadline is next Friday, March 5, at 4pm. If you have not
submitted your petition to us, you should do so ASAP. See http://elections.stanford.edu/petition-guide
  for instructions and email us at elections at elections.stanford.edu
with questions. If you're still working on your budget for a petition,
email us to check in so we can help you and so we don't get worried
about you.

2) The petition deadline is next Friday, March 5, at 4pm, as set by
the ASSU Joint Bylaws. You must have the required number of valid
signatures on your petition by that time. If you do not, your fee
request will not be on the ballot and your group will receive $0 in
Special Fees (you're still eligible for $6-7,000 in General Fees).

The petition process plays an important role in ensuring that the
Special Fees system is responsive to students, even if it just seems
annoying to you all as FOs. At least once in the recent past, the
petition deadline has been unlawfully extended to give *all* groups
enough time to petition for *all* Special Fee requests. Such
extensions prevent students from giving more nuanced feedback on your
budget than just "yes" or "no," and unlawful extensions put your
funding at risk of being challenged the following year and revoked.
Based primarily on student feedback but also on the ASSU Constitution
and Joint Bylaws, the Elections Commission will not extend the
deadline this year. To be blunt: almost certainly, some groups will
fail to petition by the deadline. It's your responsibility as an FO to
create a reasonable budget that enough students will sign.

3) If you have sent email to the Elections Commission and not yet
received a response, please resend it to elections at elections.stanford.edu
. We haven't heard of this happening, but we want to make 100% sure
nobody sent email to a wrong address and is still waiting to hear from
us. My personal mobile phone number is below if there's anything super
urgent.

4) We are updating the petition site at http://petitions.stanford.edu
tomorrow so that it shows a list of current Special Fee petitions as
well as candidate/slate petitions, based on student feedback.

5) We appreciate your suggestions and feedback. You can leave
anonymous feedback for the Elections Commission at:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dGlPVkd1a1k0cE9YXzQ4T2VuZjJFZ3c6MA

[See general Special Fees info at http://elections.stanford.edu/special-fees/
. If you've ever wondered where all these Special Fees rules and
policies come from, read the ASSU Constitution (Article V) and Joint
Bylaws (Appx II) at http://assu.stanford.edu/governing_docs/ ]
--
Quinn Slack
ASSU Elections Commissioner  |  http://elections.stanford.edu