[theory-seminar] theory seminar with Persi Diaconis!

Gregory Valiant gvaliant at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 22 00:04:08 PDT 2015

Hi Everyone,
Just a reminder that the theory seminar tomorrow (Thursday) will
feature Persi Diaconis.  Refreshments start around 4pm, talk starts at
4:15pm.  Title/abstract below:

Title: Using Algorithms to Prove Theorems

Abstract: Sometimes, a clever algorithm gives a representation that
allows theorems to be proved.  I will illustrate with Stam's algorithm
for generating random set partitions (so there are five set partitions
of three things: 1/2/3, 12/3, 13/2, 23/1, 123) a variety of statistics
have resisted analysis (particularly the number of crossings).  I hope
that this is the tip of an iceberg, but the audience will have to
help.  This is joint work with Daniel Kane, Bobbie Chern, and Rob
Rhodes.