[theory-seminar] Special ICME Seminar: Yin-Tat Lee, Thursday, 4/7/16 at 9:15am in Huang 305

Nicole Wein nicole.s.wein at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:07:28 PDT 2016

Message to ICME list may be of interest:

Dear ICME,

Please join us for a special ICME seminar with Yin-Tat Lee, doctoral
candidate in the Department of Mathematics at the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology. Yin-Tat will be on campus this Thursday andFriday as he is
one of the candidates for the new ICME faculty position.

Title: Faster algorithms for fundamental convex problems and their
applications in combinatorial optimization

Abstract:
Convex optimization has been studied extensively and is a prominent tool in
various areas such as combinatorial optimization, data analysis, operations
research, and scientific computing.  Each field has developed specialized
tools including data structures, sampling methods, and dimension reduction.
In the past several years, I have been combining and improving the
optimization techniques from different fields to design faster optimization
algorithms.

In this talk, I will discuss my work in this direction and illustrate it
through my results on linear programming and general convex optimization.
In particular, I will present a new algorithm for solving linear programs,
which gives the first improvement to the running time for linear
programming in 25 years. Then, I will present the first nearly cubic time
algorithm for solving general convex optimization problems. Furthermore, I
will discuss how these two results can be used to improve the running time
of many classical combinatorial problems such as maximum flow and
submodular function minimization.

This talk will assume no prior knowledge of optimization.