[theory-seminar] Quals talk: Nicole Wein on Cell-probe lower bounds

Nicole Wein nicole.s.wein at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:08:06 PDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I will be giving my qualifying exam talk on cell-probe lower bounds for
dynamic data structures on *Wednesday, September 14 at 2pm* in Gates 463A. (It
isn't just a formality to send out this email -- I really do want to invite
you to come learn about cell-probe lower bounds.)

I will mainly focus on the paper "Logarithmic Lower Bounds in the
Cell-Probe Model" by Pătrașcu and Demaine and describe their "information
transfer" technique for proving lower bounds for dynamic problems. For
those who went to Josh W.'s or Andrea's quals talks (which were also on
cell-probe lower bounds), this talk will be disjoint from both of theirs.

Nicole