[theory-seminar] [Bonus CS theory seminar-lunch] Thursday 12/7 - Robert Kleinberg (Cornell)

Rad Niazadeh rad at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Dec 3 14:51:27 PST 2017

Hi everyone,

We are excited to have a *bonus theory seminar* (in the place of our
traditional theory lunch) this week on Thursday 12/7, by Professor Robert
Kleinberg from Cornell CS Department. The plan is to serve food sharp at
noon until 12:15, and then the speaker talks from 12:15 until 1:15 pm
(notice the extra 15 minutes stretch). Below is the information regarding
this seminar.

Bobby is also visiting for the day and we have prepared a Google
spreadsheet for his schedule. There is a student meeting slot (1:30-2:15
pm), and the rest are reserved for faculty and postdocs. Please add your
name to the sheet if you are interested to meet Bobby.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1neh_1wwP0hGe5NDLAvR7r1HNElHVb8gn3QAwHKpIEF0/edit?usp=sharing

Robert Kleinberg (Cornell CS Department)
Date/Time: Thursday, December 7, 12:00-1:15 pm.
Title: Recharging Bandits: Learning to Schedule Recurring Interventions
Abstract:
Traditional multi-armed bandit models posit that the payoff distribution of
each action (or "arm") is stationary over time, and hence that the goal of
learning is to identify the arm with the highest expected payoff and choose
that one forever after. However, in many applications the efficacy of an
action depends on the amount of time that has elapsed since it was last
performed. Examples arise in precision agriculture, online education, and
music recommendations. In this talk we introduce a generalization of the
multi-armed bandit problem that models such applications. In the course of
analyzing algorithms for this problem, we will encounter some interesting
combinatorial questions about coloring the integers subject to bounds on
the sizes of subintervals that exclude a given color.

This talk is based on joint work with Nicole Immorlica.

Please feel free to ask me (rad at cs.stanford.edu) any questions, concerns,
comments or feedbacks that you might have. Hope to see you all at this
seminar,

Best,

Rad and Hongyang