[theory-seminar] [theory-lunch] Ismaël Lemhadri on Community detection

Hongyang Zhang hongyang at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 31 10:58:28 PDT 2017

Hi Everyone

This Thursday, Ismaël Lemhadri will tell us about "Community detection in
the stochastic block model" (see abstract below). Ismaël is currently doing
his PhD in stats at Stanford.

As usual, we meet from 12:00pm to 1:00pm at Gates 463A.

=========================
Community detection in the stochastic block model

I analyze the problem of community recovery in the context of the
stochastic block model. To do so I introduce a semi-definite program that
interprets as a relaxed version of K-means. I prove that it achieves exact
recovery with high probability as soon as a simple condition on the
'within-between' covariance gap is satisfied. I conclude by comparing our
condition to classical SDP formulations, and I discuss a few
generalizations.

Best,
Hongyang

--