[theory-seminar] [theory-lunch] " Algorithmic toolboxes" reading group

Rad Niazadeh rad at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Mar 5 10:56:53 PST 2018

Hi All,

I probably have talked to a couple of you individually about this idea
before, but a mass email seems to be the right way of maximizing total
contributions. We (Nima and I) were wondering if anyone is interested in
attending (or contributing to) a semi-short reading group, starting from
this week (or maybe next week), on a diverse set of topics related to
various algorithmic toolboxes. To start, we have picked a couple of
particular topics listed below, but we are definitely open to suggestions:

1- Sampling and counting, MCMCs and determinantal measures
*e.g. see this set of lecture notes, which I believe is a good guide for
the topics we want to cover:
https://homes.cs.washington.edu/~shayan/courses/cse599/index.html

2- Online learning and it's applications in designing competitive online
algorithms
*e.g. see these lectures by Sebastien Bubeck on their recent k-server
result:
https://blogs.princeton.edu/imabandit/2017/12/16/k-server-pa
rt-1-online-learning-and-online-algorithms/
https://blogs.princeton.edu/imabandit/2017/12/20/k-server-pa
rt-2-continuous-time-mirror-descent/
https://blogs.princeton.edu/imabandit/2018/01/29/k-server-pa
rt-3-entropy-regularization-for-weighted-k-paging/

Time: Here is a Doodle poll to pick a time (please participate!):
https://doodle.com/poll/ba92p3xen4b9c79q

Location: TBD

Responsibilities: each week one of the attendees gives a two-hour
whiteboard talk. Priorities are given to junior PhD students.

Here is what you need to do:
1- Send me (rad at cs.stanford.edu) or Nima (anar at cs.stanford.edu) an email if
you are willing to attend, in which you mention the times that work for you.
2- Tell us if you don't like any of the above topics and if you want to add
any interesting topics to the list that you wanna learn.
3- We understand the quarter is closing to its end, but it would be great
if we still start at this point and we continue stronger next quarter!
4- Please feel free to forward this email to whoever you think is
interested!

Thanks for your attention,

Best,

Rad and Nima