[theory-seminar] Elad Hazan talk today @3pm

Gregory Valiant gvaliant at cs.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 16 12:58:42 PDT 2018

Hi Friends,
Elad Hazan will be visiting from Princeton, and will be giving a talk 3-4pm
in Gates 463a.  Hope to see you there,
-Greg

Time/Location: Tues Oct 16, 3-4pm Gates 463a.
Speaker: Elad Hazan (Princeton University)
Title: Taking Control by Convex Optimization
Abstract:
Linear dynamical systems, a.k.a. Kalman filtering, are a class of
time-series models widely used in robotics, finance, engineering, and
meteorology. In it's general form (unknown system), learning LDS is a
classic non-convex problem, typically tackled with heuristics like gradient
descent ("backpropagation through time") or the EM algorithm.

I will present our new "spectral filtering" approach to the identification
and control of discrete-time general linear dynamical systems with
multi-dimensional inputs, outputs, and a latent state. This approach yields
a simple & efficient algorithms for low-regret prediction (i.e.
asymptotically vanishing MSE) as well as finite-time control.