[theory-seminar] Research methods class + playback 2019

Omer Reingold reingold at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 28 09:51:47 PDT 2018

Hi all,

1.       I am contemplating a new course about “research methods for
theoretical CS.” In the social sciences, students are expected to take
quantitative and qualitative research methods courses before starting
research. In CS, we learn on the job. Are there things that can be taught
which would make undergrad and master research more effective? If you have
any thoughts, please email me: what would you wished someone taught you
before you started research? Let me emphasize that the purpose of the
course will not be useful knowledge but rather useful skills.

2.       In the winter quarter, I’ll be teaching “CS 83: Playback Theater
for Research” (
https://omereingold.wordpress.com/cs-83-playback-theater-for-research/) for
the second time. The first time, the students (including PhD students) felt
extremely rewarded. If you think of a student that would gain from such a
class (or if it is a good fit for you), please spread the word.

Thanks,

Omer