[theory-seminar] Theory Lunch 8/8 -- Alex Porter

Weiyun Ma wyma at stanford.edu
Tue Aug 6 11:26:54 PDT 2019

Hi all,

This Thursday at theory lunch, Alex will tell us about "Embedded Index Coding." (See abstract below.) This will be our last theory lunch this summer.

As always, please join us from noon to 1pm at 463A.

Embedded Index Coding

Speaker: Alex Porter

In index coding (Bar-Yossef et al., FOCS'06) sender(s) encode data blocks into messages which are broadcast to receivers. The receivers already have some of the data blocks, and the goal is to take advantage of this "side information" in order to minimize the number of messages broadcast.

Motivated by applications in distributed storage and distributed computation, we introduce embedded index coding (EIC). EIC is a type of distributed index coding in which nodes in a distributed system act as both senders and receivers of information. We show how embedded index coding is related to index coding in general, and give characterizations and bounds on the communication costs of optimal embedded index codes.

Based on joint work with Mary Wootters.

Anna