[theory-seminar] Algorithms and Friends Lunch, Monday (May 13) at Gates 463A

Shivam Garg shivamgarg at stanford.edu
Tue May 7 20:37:59 PDT 2019

Hi everyone,

Avidit Acharya will be giving a talk on coming Monday (May 13th), at noon, in Gates 463A.

Title: Matching Refugees to Host Country Locations Based on Preferences and Outcomes (with Kirk Bansak and Jens Hainmueller)

Abstract: Facilitating the integration of refugees has become a major policy challenge in many host countries in the context of the global displacement crisis. One of the first policy decisions host countries make in the resettlement process is the assignment of refugees to locations within the country. We develop a mechanism to match refugees to locations in a way that takes into account their expected integration outcomes and their preferences over where to be settled. Our proposal is based on a priority mechanism that allows the government first to specify a threshold g for the minimum level of expected integration success that should be achieved. Refugees are then matched to locations based on their preferences subject to meeting the government's specified threshold. The mechanism is both strategy-proof and constrained efficient in that it always generates a matching that is not Pareto dominated by any other matching that respects the government's threshold. We demonstrate our approach using simulations and a real-world application to refugee data from the United States.

Speaker Bio: Avidit (Avi) Acharya is an assistant professor of political science at Stanford. He is a formal political theorist and political economist whose work ranges across a diverse set of topics including voting theory, bargaining theory, principal-agent theory, behavioral political economy, distributive politics, and long run development. Avi’s papers have been published (or are forthcoming) in the leading journals of political science, including the American Political Science Review, American Journal of Political Science, and Journal of Politics, as well as the top journals in economic theory, including Econometrica, Journal of Economic Theory, and Games and Economic Behavior. Avi earned his PhD in political economy from Princeton University, and taught in the political science and economics departments of the University of Rochester before coming to Stanford.

Thanks,
Shivam