[theory-seminar] This week's theory seminar

Bruce Spang bspang at stanford.edu
Wed Oct 23 14:06:42 PDT 2019

Hi all! Just a reminder that this is happening in an hour

Bruce

On Oct 21, 2019, at 10:57 AM, Bruce Spang <bspang at stanford.edu<mailto:bspang at stanford.edu>> wrote:

Hi all!

This week’s theory seminar will feature Ankur Moitra talking about "Robustly Recovering a Signal, Under a Group Action.” It will be on Wednesday 10/23 from 3-4pm in Gates 463A.

The abstract is below. Hope to see you there!

Bruce

Robustly Recovering a Signal, Under a Group Action
Ankur Moitra

In orbit retrieval, we are given noisy observations of an unknown signal, each acted upon by a random element of some group. Many important inverse problems in engineering fit into this framework. While algorithms that work for finite groups can be built from standard tensor decomposition methods, for infinite groups, no general algorithms are known.

We give a new spectral algorithm for one such problem, called continuous multireference alignment, where we observe noisy continuous shifts of an unknown bandlimited signal. Moreover, we give a general framework for designing spectral algorithms from tensor networks. We believe that tensor networks will prove to be a powerful abstraction for designing spectral algorithms for other challenging inverse problems.

This is based on joint work with Alex Wein (NYU)