[theory-seminar] MSRI workshop on ''Mathematical Models for Prediction and Control of Epidemics''

Amin Saberi saberi at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 10 10:38:41 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

I am co-organizing the following workshop on the mathematics of epidemics at Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI) this week. The workshop is virtual and the registration is free.

All the best,
Amin

Mathematical Models for Prediction and Control of Epidemics
Organizers: Christian Borgs (University of California, Berkeley), Abba Gumel (Arizona State University), Maya Petersen (University of California, Berkeley), Amin Saberi (Stanford University), Katherine Yelick (University of California, Berkeley; Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory)
Date: August 12, 2020 - August 14, 2020

The workshop will bring together researchers from epidemiology, global health, and mathematics to discuss challenges in developing predictive models for epidemics as well as policies and algorithmic solutions for their control and mitigation. It will thus give the mathematical community access to some of the challenging issues and mathematical problems in the field.

The workshop will start with 3-4 speakers who will present some of the models currently in use, with their virtues and shortcomings.  In the afternoon, a panel will discuss policy implications and what policy makers still need from modelers.  The second day will focus on control and mitigation strategies, touching on themes like social distancing, optimal testing, and contact tracing.  On day three, we will discuss various mathematical problems related to what we discussed on day one and two – this will be the day where speakers won’t be shy to use the words theorem and proof, or utter the sentence “Unfortunately, we don’t yet have the faintest idea how to prove this”.  We finish the day (and the workshop) with a discussion of open problems, and the role mathematics has to play in modeling and controlling epidemics.

For more information and registration, see
https://www.msri.org/workshops/1002

List of speakers:

  *   Susan Athey<https://www.msri.org/people/41815> (Stanford University)
  *   Sara Del Valle<https://www.msri.org/people/47077> (Los Alamos National Laboratory)