[theory-seminar] Fwd: Purdue is hiring in CS theory - please encourage students/postdocs to apply

Mary Wootters marykw at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 8 14:19:52 PST 2020

Hi all,

See below for a job ad from the Purdue theory group, which might be of
interest to graduating students and post-docs.

--Mary

============

We have two positions in Theory dedicated to Foundation in Data Science
and  have formed a separate theory search
<https://www.cs.purdue.edu/hiring/index.html> committee. The advertisement
for the positions can be accessed via:

https://www.cs.purdue.edu/hiring/index.html

We would like to ask for your help in recommending our department to your
graduating PhD students and professional colleagues you feel are interested
in Purdue. Purdue offers a number of unique opportunities for a theory
researcher:

   - Our dean, Patrick Wolfe, is willing to make a substantial investment
   in theory of data science. He agrees that a highly rated computer science
   department should have a strong theory group. He has allocated two theory
   faculty positions dedicated to data science for the coming year.
   - The department has secured impressive recurring funding to handle
   increased enrollments. Our TA support is exceptional and the department is
   continuously assessing how to improve staff support for courses. We have an
   enrollment management strategy that is tied to the needed resources.
   - We have an energetic group of junior faculty with interests in theory
   as well as data science ready to collaborate on theoretical matters. They
   include Kent Quanrud, Paul Valiant, Alex Psomas, Jeremiah Blocki, Simina
   Branzei, Hemanta Maji, Bruno Ribeiro and Yexiang Xue.  See our department
   website <https://www.cs.purdue.edu/> for more details

Best regards,

Elena (on behalf of the theory hiring committee)

-----

Elena Grigorescu

Associate Professor

Computer Science

Purdue University

--
Mary Wootters (she/her)
Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering