[theory-seminar] "Robust Learning from Batches -- The Best Things in Life are (Almost) Free" – Alon Orlitsky (Thu, 11-Mar @ 4:30pm)

Joachim Neu jneu at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 6 22:47:37 PST 2021

Robust Learning from Batches -- The Best Things in Life are (Almost)
Free

                    Alon Orlitsky – Professor, UC San Diego

                    Thu, 11-Mar / 4:30pm

                         / Zoom:
https://stanford.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJckfuCurzkvEtKKOBvDCrPv3McapgP6HygJ

                    To avoid Zoom-bombing, we ask attendees to sign in
via the above URL to receive the Zoom meeting details by email.

                    Please join us before the talk for the Thursdays
4pm ISL coffee (half-)hour in Gathertown at:
https://gather.town/uaAn6GTFg40xKE2u/ISL (Password: isl-colloq)

Abstract

In many applications, including natural language processing, sensor
networks, collaborative filtering, and federated learning, data are
collected in batches, some potentially corrupt, biased, or even
adversarial. Learning algorithms for this setting have therefore
garnered considerable recent attention. We develop a general framework
for robust learning from batches, and determine the least number of
samples required for robust density estimation and classification over
both discrete and continuous domains. Perhaps surprisingly, we show
that
 robust learning can be achieved with essentially the same number of
samples as required for genuine data. For the important problems of
learning discrete and piecewise-polynomial densities, and of
interval-based classification, we achieve these limits with
polynomial-time algorithms.

Based on joint work with Ayush Jain.

Bio

Alon Orlitsky received B.Sc. degrees in Mathematics and Electrical
Engineering from Ben Gurion University, and M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in
Electrical Engineering from Stanford University. After a decade with
the
 Communications Analysis Research Department of Bell Laboratories and
year as a quantitative analyst at D.E. Shaw and Company, he joined the
University of California San Diego, where he is currently a professor
of
 Electrical and Computer Engineering and of Computer Science and
Engineering and holds the Qualcomm Chair for Information Theory and
its
Applications. His research concerns information theory, statistical
modeling, and machine learning, focusing on fundamental limits and
practical algorithms for extracting knowledge from data. Among other
distinctions, Alon is a recipient of the 2021 Information Theory
Society
 Shannon Award and a co-recipient of the 2017 ICML Best Paper
Honorable
Mention Award, the 2015 NeurIPS Paper Award, and the 2006 Information
Theory Society Paper Award.

                        Mailing list:

                        This talk:
http://isl.stanford.edu/talks/talks/2021q1/alon-orlitsky/