[theory-seminar] Interesting seminar this Friday

Huy Tuan Pham huypham at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 9 10:57:01 PST 2021

Hi everyone,

The Faculty Area of Research Seminar in the Math Department this Friday
(03/12) may be of interest to some of you.

*Title:* Random graphs and thresholds

*Speaker: *Jinyoung Park (IAS)

*Abstract: *I will briefly introduce the notion of random graphs and some
of their basic properties, mostly focusing on thresholds for increasing
properties. I will also introduce "Kahn-Kalai expectation threshold
conjecture" and explain the motivation behind it with some examples. If
time permits, we will talk about a recent result of Jeff Kahn, Bhargav
Narayanan, and myself stating that the threshold for the random graph
G(n,p) to contain the square of a Hamilton cycle is 1/sqrt n, resolving a
conjecture of Kühn and Osthus from 2012. The proof idea is motivated by the
recent work of Frankston and the three aforementioned authors on a
conjecture of Talagrand -- "a fractional version" of the Kahn-Kalai
conjecture.

The seminar runs from 11:30AM-12:30PM PST this Friday (03/12). This is the
Zoom link for the event.

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:
https://stanford.zoom.us/j/94515934688?pwd=UG1rVzg0RVZrNWw4bWtVdFFMSGpXUT09

    Password: 986571

Best wishes,

Huy