[theory-seminar] Theory Lunch 3/3: Noah Shutty

Junyao Zhao junyaoz at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 1 10:45:55 PST 2022

Hi everyone,

This week's theory lunch will take place Thursday at 11:50am. We'll start with socializing and having lunch in the grass area near Gates (see the map at the end), followed by a remote talk at 12:40pm in Fujitsu. Noah will give his talk remotely, and he'll tell us about: Computing Efficiently on Encoded Data

Abstract: Error correcting codes can protect data from catastrophic loss. But could certain codes also make some computations more efficient?
In this work, we consider a distributed computing scenario in which several nodes collectively store bits of data, encoded in a Reed-Solomon code. We show that arbitrary linear functions of this data can be computed by downloading just bits from each node, in contrast to the that the naïve approach requires.

This presents recent work with Mary Wootters at [arxiv/2107.11847<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Farxiv.org%2Fpdf%2F2107.11847.pdf&sa=D&ust=1646591290700000&usg=AOvVaw16ATW6PWy8Jt3ilEUjMs3e>].

Note the new location and the slight change of time for this week. We want to spare people the extra walk and give people enough time to have lunch before the talk.

If you want to attend the talk but cannot come in person, please use this zoom link: https://stanford.zoom.us/j/98932206471?pwd=YXdubytLVGNTbXhGeXFxNmJaVnhrUT09.

Cheers,
Junyao

Theory lunch location for this week: We'll have lunch in the grass area near Gates (red point in the map below), and we'll watch Noah's talk together in Fujitsu (Gates 403).

[cid:15fe8f1f-3582-47b0-ae2f-d6f6ec535b52]