[theory-seminar] Learning Theory Mentoring Workshop

Mary Wootters marykw at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 2 18:55:14 PST 2022

Hi all,

See below for an announcement about a Learning Theory Mentoring Workshop
(to be held at ALT) March 14-15!  The application deadline is March 10.

Best,
Mary

=========

Hi all,

We are pleased to invite you to a Learning Theory Mentorship Workshop in
collaboration with the Conference on Algorithmic Learning Theory (ALT) 2022
to be held virtually on March 14-15, 2022. The workshop is free.

The workshop is intended for upper-level undergraduate and all-level
graduate students as well as postdoctoral researchers. No prior research
experience in the field is expected. We have several planned events
including:

   -

   Two “how-to” talks:
   -

      How to read a paper (e.g., questions to keep in mind while reading a
      paper and how to get the most out of a paper in limited time)
      -

      How to navigate peer review (e.g., how to write reviews and rebuttals)
      -

   Short technical tutorials on favorite learning theory concepts and
   techniques (e.g., concentration inequalities, complexity measures, and
   optimization tricks)
   -

   An “Ask Me Anything” (AMA) with a member of the learning theory community
   -

   A social hour with mentoring tables

Our lineup includes: Shipra Agrawal, Clément Canonne, Rachel Cummings, Sam
Hopkins, Nicole Immorlica, Akshay Krishnamurthy, Jamie Morgenstern, Aaditya
Ramdas, and Csaba Szepesvári.

A short application form <https://forms.gle/QBH6FanKjGBTREeG9> is required
to participate with an application deadline of Thursday, March 10, 2022.
Students with backgrounds that are underrepresented or underserved in
related fields are especially encouraged to apply. We are trying our best
to accommodate all time zones. More information (including the schedule)
can be found on the event’s website: http://let-all.com/alt22.html.

This workshop is part of our broader community building initiative called
the Learning Theory Alliance (founded by Surbhi Goel, Nika Haghtalab, and
Ellen Vitercik; advised by Peter Bartlett, Avrim Blum, Stefanie Jegelka,
Po-Ling Loh, and Jenn Wortman Vaughan). Check out http://let-all.com/ for
more details.

Best,

Surbhi Goel, Thodoris Lykouris, Vidya Muthukumar, and Ellen Vitercik