[theory-seminar] "Semantic vs. Effective Communications" - Deniz Gündüz (Friday, March 11th, 2pm PT)

Pulkit Tandon tpulkit at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 9 13:34:50 PST 2022

Hi everyone,

We continue with the Information Theory Forum (IT Forum<https://web.stanford.edu/group/it-forum/talks/>) talks this week @Fri, March 11th, 2pm PT with Prof. Deniz Gündüz. The talks are hosted and accessible via Zoom.

Details for this week’s talk are below:

Semantic vs. Effective Communications
Deniz Gündüz
, Imperial College London
Fri, 11th March, 2pm PT
Zoom Link<https://stanford.zoom.us/j/92716427348?pwd=TlV6VHNscGxsTEdlOC8rWkMwaElldz09>
pwd: 032264

Abstract
I will start this talk by motivating more mathematical definitions for Weaver’s three levels of communication problems in his famous article that introduced Shannon’s work in the book The Mathematical Theory of Communication (1949). I will then focus on the classes of semantic and effective communication problems. First, I will present some of our recent results on semantic communications involving wireless video transmission and the communication of deep neural networks over noisy channels. Then, I will provide an example of an effective communication problem, called remote Markov decision process, present some initial results, and discuss various open problems for future research.

Bio

Deniz Gündüz received his B.S. degree from Middle East Technical University, Turkey in 2002, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from NYU Tandon School of Engineering in 2004 and 2007, respectively. He is a Professor of Information Processing in the Electrical and Electronic Engineering Department of Imperial College London, UK. He is also a part-time faculty member at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy, and has held visiting positions at University of Padova (2018-2020) and Princeton University (2009-2012). His research interests lie in the areas of wireless communications, information theory, machine learning, and privacy. Dr. Gündüz is a Fellow of the IEEE, and a Distinguished Lecturer for the IEEE Information Theory Society (2020-22). He serves in various editorial roles for the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on Communications, and the IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC).

Best
Pulkit