[theory-seminar] topics class suggestions

Moses Charikar moses at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Mar 13 16:28:34 PDT 2022

Hello theory and ML folks,

I plan to teach a topics class next year and I wanted to get some input on
what sorts of topics courses students might be interested in. I can't
promise I will offer exactly what you want, but this will certainly
influence my thinking, so it will be helpful to get some sense of student
interest. I have a couple of weeks to converge on a topic.

For a class to be viable, we need at least 8 students to register for it
and do the work.
For a topics class, this could involve some combination of reading papers
and writing a report/making a presentation, possibly doing a small number
of homework problems and scribing notes -- less work if you are taking
the class CR/NC. I hope there will be more than the bare minimum of 8
students -- it is a lot more fun to teach a class when there are more
people in the room (up to a limit of course -- I will have my fair share of
very large classes next year as well).

To contribute your suggestions, please use this shared doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gakhPCR81L1aINY5ayjHhJJ1RXHQzSnQzhzj1SqLtIA/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to invent your own conventions to support previous suggestions
(it will be helpful to get a sense for how many students would be willing
to actually register for such a class).

FYI, I did a similar poll with the theory students back in 2018 and these
are some of the suggestions that came from there:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P7a1J8VWMGXTXjpcpDKXKW6sbv-kIG7blOJhoDi42ak/edit?usp=sharing

Here is what the StatsML students came up with back then:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15p3Qa5QCc48ABtZPA6w0NdjZ-4DbDP-5RwEl-wnpWPQ/edit?usp=sharing

I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers,
Moses