[theory-seminar] Simons Quantum Colloquium tomorrow (Tues, May 10) by Leonard Susskind, followed by panel featuring Scott Aaronson, Geoffrey Penington, and Edward Witten

Adam Bouland abouland at stanford.edu
Mon May 9 16:54:32 PDT 2022

FYI Lenny Susskind is giving a Simons Colloquium tomorrow on complexity
theory and black holes, which may be of interest!

Best,
Adam

*From:* Simons Institute Events <simonsevents at berkeley.edu>
*Date:* May 9, 2022 at 2:18:08 PM PDT
*To:* undisclosed-recipients:;
*Subject:* *[theory-faculty] [theory-announce] Quantum Colloquium tomorrow
(Tues, May 10) by Leonard Susskind, followed by panel featuring Scott
Aaronson, Geoffrey Penington, and Edward Witten*
*Reply-To:* Simons Institute Events <simonsevents at berkeley.edu>

Hello,

The Simons Institute would like to invite the members of your listserv to
join us on Zoom for our final Quantum Colloquium of the semester as we
believe the topic may be of interest. Our final Quantum Colloquium of the
semester is taking place tomorrow, Tuesday, May 10. Leonard Susskind
(Stanford University) will present a talk on "Black Holes and the
Quantum-Extended Church-Turing Thesis" starting at 11 a.m. Pacific
Time. Please see below for the full title and abstract details.

Following the colloquium at 12 p.m. Pacific Time, we are pleased to present
a panel discussion featuring Scott Aaronson (UT Austin), Geoffrey Penington
(UC Berkeley), and Edward Witten (IAS). Moderated by Umesh Vazirani (UC
Berkeley).

Further details about the colloquium can be viewed here:
https://simons.berkeley.edu/events/quantum-colloquium

Public Zoom webinar link: https://berkeley.zoom.us/j/95040632440

We hope to see you there!
Umesh Vazirani

*Title:* Black Holes and the Quantum-Extended Church-Turing Thesis

*Speakers: *Leonard Susskind (Stanford University)

*Abstract:* A few years ago three computer scientists named Adam Bouland,
Bill Fefferman, and Umesh Vazirani, wrote a paper that promises to
radically change the way we think about the interiors of black holes.
Inspired by their paper I will explain how black holes threaten the QECTT,
and how the properties of horizons rescue the thesis, and eventually make
predictions for the complexity of extracting information from behind the
black hole horizon. I'll try my best to explain enough about black holes to
keep the lecture self contained.

Best regards,
*Events Team *
*Simons Institute for the Theory of Computing*
Melvin Calvin Lab | UC Berkeley
*Google Maps
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/Simons+Institute+for+the+Theory+of+Computing/@37.8710011,-122.2561281,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x80857c3aad146a67:0x85116495c4745985!8m2!3d37.8709969!4d-122.2539394>
Parking <https://simons.berkeley.edu/visiting/directions>*