[sea-list] Giving What We Can follow-ups

Linchuan Zhang email.linch at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 18:22:50 PST 2016

Hello folks,

Thanks to everybody who came to the  SEA last Sunday. We discussed pros and
cons for taking the Giving What We Can pledge.

Giving What We Can is a voluntary pledge made by some members of the
effective altruism community to donate 10% of our lifelong earnings to the
most effective charities, personally defined (classically in global health
and poverty, but some people choose to donate to climate change, animal
welfare, or long run safety/existential risk).

Arguments for: SlateStarCodex
<http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/12/19/nobody-is-perfect-everything-is-commensurable/>
, Jacy
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacy-reese/how-can-you-help-animals_b_8911384.html>
, Jaibot <https://blog.jaibot.com/thing-you-can-change/>, me
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linch-zhang/the-bystander_b_8982968.html>
Arguments against: Alyssa Vance
<http://effective-altruism.com/ea/14i/contra_the_giving_what_we_can_pledge/>
, Michael Dickens
<http://effective-altruism.com/ea/133/dedicated_donors_may_not_want_to_sign_the_giving/>
(SEA
alum), Aceso Under Glass
<https://acesounderglass.com/2015/12/14/the-giving-what-we-can-pledge/>

If you're interested in the pledge, you should check out the website
<http://givingwhatwecan.org>and the Facebook event
<https://www.facebook.com/events/177675359369053/>! Giving What We Can has
2300+ members now, and we're hoping to get to 2500 members on New Year's
Day in 2017.

If you're a current Giving What We Can member, it'll be great if you're
willing to write about your experiences! (On social media, a blog post, or
a short video).

Best,
Linch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIyklLlsynU