[sea-list] Reading/ Discussion on Cost Disease

Jake McKinnon jakemck at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 4 14:58:49 PST 2017

This Sunday we’ll be discussing cost disease
<https://slatestarcodex.com/2017/02/09/considerations-on-cost-disease/>, a
strange phenomenon where certain sectors of the economy seem to have
bloated costs without noticeable improvements in quality. The original name
comes from the fairly well-understood concept that’s also known as the Baumol
effect <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baumol%27s_cost_disease>, however
Baumol is at best a partial explanation for the actual results that are
observed.

If you want to be caught up to speed, please read/skim this post on
SlateStarCodex:
https://slatestarcodex.com/2017/02/09/considerations-on-cost-disease/

Other good resources: Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baumol%27s_cost_disease>, The Economist
<http://www.economist.com/node/21563714>, Tyler Cowen
<https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-01-18/this-economic-phenomenon-is-making-government-sick>

As usual, we're meeting at 4:30pm Sunday in Old Union 121.

Hope to see you there!

- Jake