[sea-list] Global Catastrophic Risks - What Will End the World?

Jake McKinnon jakemck at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 18 17:02:56 PDT 2017

This Sunday, we will be discussing the exciting, fascinating and
completely-not-scary topic of Global Catastrophic and Existential Risks --
dangers that may drastically curtail humanity’s potential, or end it.

What are some of the biggest risks to humanity’s future? Asteroids,
supervolcanoes, climate change, natural pandemics, nanotechnology, nuclear
weapons, synthetic biology? Something else entirely? (We will not be
discussing AI tomorrow) Is reducing the probability of these risks at all
tractable? And if so, is it cost-effective?

As usual, we're meeting at 4:30pm Sunday in Old Union 121.

Good luck on finals (don't worry, it's not the end of the world :) ),

Jake