[sea-list] First Stanford EA Meeting This Year-- Tomorrow at 4:30PM

Jake McKinnon jakemck at stanford.edu
Sat Oct 7 23:48:18 PDT 2017

Hello,

For newcomers, welcome to the Stanford Effective Altruism mailing list!
Whether you joined us through the Max Tegmark talk on advanced artificial
intelligence or at the Student Activities Fair, we’re glad to have you on
board!

For everybody else, welcome back!

I will post to this mailing list once (rarely twice) a week about our
meetings, social functions, and occasional events/volunteering
opportunities.

Our first meeting this school year will be at 4:30PM this Sunday (tomorrow,
10/8) in Old Union, Room 215. We will briefly introduce the basic idea
behind effective altruism, and then launch immediately into our core
discussion: moral catastrophes. What are some ways in which our society may
be catastrophically wrong, yet few people know or care?

This is mostly based on a paper
<https://philpapers.org/archive/WILTPO-101.pdf> by Evan G. Williams (outline
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/18ZzC-WkDcWK-WPlIzKvDv83j8aBwSfdOxnZRmoio-zE/edit#heading=h.8mu2lif6h1gt>
here).

Next Sunday (10/15), we will go over EA Basics.

Hope to see you there,
Jake

PS. For people who cannot make either meeting, but are interested, I’ve
attached some relevant resources on effective altruism, in case you have
some time.

80000 Hours <http://80000hours.org> - In-depth research on optimal
altruistic career choice.

TedX video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtWINl3C_7s> - Introduction
video to effective altruism

Introduction to EA
<https://www.effectivealtruism.org/articles/introduction-to-effective-altruism/>
- A community introduction (if you prefer text)