[sea-list] What the Heck IS Effective Altruism?

Jake McKinnon jakemck at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 15 14:34:30 PDT 2017

Last week, we talked about potential ongoing moral catastrophes, working
off of a paper <https://philpapers.org/archive/WILTPO-101.pdf> by Evan G.
Williams (outline
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/18ZzC-WkDcWK-WPlIzKvDv83j8aBwSfdOxnZRmoio-zE/edit#heading=h.8mu2lif6h1gt>
here).

Today we will discuss EA Basics.

As usual, we will be meeting at 4:30PM today in Old Union, Room 215. We
will introduce the basic ideas behind effective altruism and then
brainstorm what people want the club to do this year. Time permitting, we
will then launch into more of an interactive discussion about what values
and assumptions underly what people mean when they say “I want to do the
most good.”

Hope to see you there,
Jake

PS. For people who cannot make either meeting, but are interested, I’ve
attached some relevant resources on effective altruism, in case you have
some time.

Introduction to EA
<https://www.effectivealtruism.org/articles/introduction-to-effective-altruism/>
A community introduction