[sea-list] Cost-Effectiveness in Global Health: What it is and Why it Matters

Jake McKinnon jakemck at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 22 13:38:38 PDT 2017

Last week, we discussed what people wanted out of the club, including
organizing future events and what types of meetings people want to see.

This week, we’ll incorporate some of your feedback! A lot of people are
interested in unstructured discussion, so for today’s meeting, we’ll have
30 minutes of completely unstructured conversation about topics
tangentially related to effective altruism, followed by 30 minutes of more
structured discussion on today’s topic: the moral imperative
<https://www.cgdev.org/publication/moral-imperative-toward-cost-effectiveness-global-health>
toward cost-effectiveness in global health.

Is it possible to calculate the approximate effectiveness of health
interventions per dollar? Is it practical to do so? And if so, is it
immoral to invest in interventions that aren’t as cost-effective when the
same money can be used to help more people (or save more lives, prevent
more suffering, etc.) in other interventions? 🤔

As usual, we will be meeting at 4:30PM today in Old Union 122.

Newcomers are more than welcome.

Hope to see you there,
Jake

PS. Last Friday’s board games event went really well! For our next social,
we’ll bake bread together, tentatively scheduled for Saturday evening. Keep
tuned!