[sea-list] Oxford Prof.Will MacAskill on the Ethics of the Next Billion Years (Saturday 21st, 2:30-4:00, Building 200)

Kuhan Jeyapragasan kuhanj at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 19 23:57:20 PDT 2019

*Stanford Effective Altruism and the Stanford Philosophy Department invite
you to:*

*Will MacAskill on the Ethics of the Next Billion Years*

We are honored to host Associate Professor Will MacAskill, at his time of
hiring the youngest ever Associate Professor in Philosophy at the
University of Oxford. He is the co-founder and president of 80,000 Hours,
the co-founder of The Centre for Effective Altruism, the co-founder of
Giving What We Can, and the author of Doing Good Better.

*WHEN: Saturday, September 21st, 2:30-4:00pm*
*ADD TO CALENDAR
<https://calendar.google.com/event?action=TEMPLATE&tmeid=NDNuc2poczQxNTI1NHVrNmVhcTIzcm5ta2kgZW9wYjVzbjMyb21hYm1oMG92ZTdwMjNuYWtAZw&tmsrc=eopb5sn32omabmh0ove7p23nak%40group.calendar.google.com>*

*WHERE: Building 200 Room 002 (Basement)*
*Stanford Main Quad (North-East Corner)*
*450 Serra Mall, Stanford, CA 94305*

*RSVP HERE <https://forms.gle/Fr9CmzUa2nfRJoHj7>*
Check out our Facebook event
<https://www.facebook.com/events/505150500034747/>!

*This event is open to everyone, especially those who are brand new to
effective altruism! Bring your friends :) *
[image: image.png]

Society is currently taking actions whose impact goes far beyond the
present generation. These impacts are vast in scale because they affect so
many people, with future people outnumbering us by thousands to one. Yet
those future generations have little representation in the world today.
They can’t bargain with us. They don’t get a vote.

In this talk, Professor Will MacAskill argues that our impact on future
generations is the most important moral consideration in the world today.
He introduces the philosophy of longtermism, which is concerned with
ensuring that long-run outcomes go as well as possible, and discusses the
ways in which we can benefit future generations, including by changing
political incentives, guiding the development of new technology, and
reducing the risk of human extinction. He discusses crucial considerations
to help you work out what strategy to pursue, and gives advice on how you
can choose a career to maximize your positive impact on the long run.

2:30pm - 2:45pm: Event check-in
2:45pm - 4:00pm: Will MacAskill on The Ethics of the Next Billion Years +
Q&A

If you're new to effective altruism, we'd love for you to join! See this
helpful introduction:
https://www.effectivealtruism.org/articles/introduction-to-effective-altruism/
<https://www.effectivealtruism.org/articles/introduction-to-effective-altruism/?fbclid=IwAR0y0gcESc-jvyVMst-Q9EKA7NW2zlKQm9qHGtRgcYRe01xSuKQC3sRTJ3Q>