[sea-list] Correction - Intro to Effective Altruism Event time: THIS SUNDAY, September 29th, 4 pm!

Kuhan Jeyapragasan kuhanj at stanford.edu
Sat Sep 28 08:20:31 PDT 2019

Sorry for the typo, the Intro to Effective Altruism event is on *Sunday,
September 29th, at 4 pm* in the Stanford Clubhouse/Asian American
Activities Center Ballroom. Hope to see you there, bring your friends!

[image: Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 8.15.50 AM.png]

*RSVP HERE
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd4PncDLswz_cRTjsZTySekfVdq9Dh6dFMKOoOGbXLglg2BKA/viewform?usp=sf_link>*
Check out our Facebook event
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1441678109338613/>!

About Open Phil and Ajeya Cotra:

The Open Philanthropy Project is a philanthropic funder founded on
effective altruist principles. Open Phil aims to figure out how to do as
much good as possible per dollar for humans, animals, and future
generations, make grants on the basis of its findings, and publish its
research and lessons learned so others can follow along. It has focus areas
in farm animal welfare, potential risks from advanced AI, biosecurity and
pandemic preparedness, and several US policy areas."

Ajeya Cotra is a Senior Research Analyst at the Open Philanthropy Project,
where she works on research to help inform how to allocate resources
between different cause areas. She is currently focused on investigating
the possibility that advanced artificial intelligence could be developed in
the relatively near-term (e.g. next 20 years), as part of vetting the case
that Open Phil should prioritize its potential risks from advanced AI focus
area especially highly. Previously, she worked on how philosophical
arguments (e.g. arguments about population ethics or moral uncertainty)
should affect Open Phil's budget allocation, and built quantitative models
for estimating the returns to marginal investment in various focus areas.
She joined the Open Philanthropy Project in July 2016 as a Research
Analyst. Ajeya has a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
from UC Berkeley, where she founded the Effective Altruists of Berkeley
student group and taught a course on effective altruism."

If you're new to effective altruism, we'd love for you to join! See this
helpful introduction:
https://www.effectivealtruism.org/articles/introduction-to-effective-altruism/
<https://www.effectivealtruism.org/articles/introduction-to-effective-altruism/?fbclid=IwAR0y0gcESc-jvyVMst-Q9EKA7NW2zlKQm9qHGtRgcYRe01xSuKQC3sRTJ3Q>