Apache child segfaults when enabling mod_webauthldap.

Russ Allbery eagle at windlord.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 25 00:34:02 PST 2006

Mustafa A Hashmi <mahashmi at gmail.com> writes:

> Using system libraries results in an immediate segfault, which as you
> pointed out was delayed if we don't use them -- till they are indeed
> called when binding to ldap. The segfault I guess makes perfect sense
> now.

Yeah, this is the same problem that lots of people have.  I wish there was
a better way of diagnosing it.

The real long-term solution is native RPMs that work with the native
libraries on the system, something that we've wanted to do for a while and
something that I hope to actually make happen in the not-too-distant
future.  I'm afraid that all the RPM-based distrubtions kind of get the
short end of the stick since we use Debian for all the infrastructure
stuff here at Stanford (I release Debian packages into Debian unstable
simultaneous with every WebAuth release), but we do also use Red Hat
internally for some things and some people at Stanford have already put
work into writing spec files.  I just have to find time to put it all
together and get it up on the web site.

> To make matters simpler rather than fix a bad configuration on my part
> -- I'll remove MIT kerberos from the system and work only with Hemidal.

This should work, although the mod_webauthldap Heimdal support is only
lightly tested.  But I did test it and didn't run into any trouble; I'm
pretty sure it should work.

> Thanks for all your pointers & suggestions. Much appreciated. Will
> report back if all goes well... and definitely report back if it doesn't
> :)

Sounds good!  :)

Technical Lead, ITS Unix Systems and Applications, Stanford University