Problem with make DESTDIR=mydir install when building webauth

Russ Allbery eagle at windlord.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 25 12:18:33 PST 2006

Morgan LEFIEUX <morgan.lefieux at saint-lo.fr> writes:

> i'm trying to make a package for webauth 3.4.2 for my distribution
> (Archlinux) and i must use "make DESTDIR=mydir install" to do this
> because the program that creates the package uses "fakeroot". But when
> compiling, "mydir" seems not to be used and it tries to write to
> /usr/lib/apache and it can't, which is normal because i'm compiling as a
> user:

Yeah, unfortunately apxs doesn't do DESTDIR so far as I can tell.  I don't
know of any way to solve that.  If anyone knows, I'd love to hear it.  For
the Debian packages, I work around it by not running make install at the
top level and instead picking the modules out of the .libs directories in
the module directories and manually putting them in the right place in the
package.

Technical Lead, ITS Unix Systems and Applications, Stanford University