port webauth to Apache 1.3?

Robert A Basch rbasch at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 28 16:11:15 PDT 2006

Hi.

I work in MIT's Information Services & Technology department.  We are
evaluating webauth, and one of the issues that has come up is that
it is only supported under Apache 2.  We have a significant number of
web servers still running Apache 1.3, and supporting them is a
probable requirement for us.  So, to deploy a webauth-based service,
we would likely be faced with porting the webauth and webauthldap
modules to work under Apache 1.3.

Can anyone give me an idea of the feasibility and difficulty of doing
such a port?  I do not have much experience with Apache modules, but I
understand that there are significant relevant differences between
Apache 1.x and Apache 2.  Has any such porting work been contributed
(I realize that it would be unsupported)?

Any information, advice, and warnings about this would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Bob

Robert Basch
Infrastructure Software Development and Architecture
Information Services & Technology
Massachusetts Institute of Technology