port webauth to Apache 1.3?

Russ Allbery eagle at windlord.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 28 16:22:31 PDT 2006

Robert A Basch <rbasch at MIT.EDU> writes:

> I work in MIT's Information Services & Technology department.  We are
> evaluating webauth, and one of the issues that has come up is that it is
> only supported under Apache 2.  We have a significant number of web
> servers still running Apache 1.3, and supporting them is a probable
> requirement for us.  So, to deploy a webauth-based service, we would
> likely be faced with porting the webauth and webauthldap modules to work
> under Apache 1.3.

> Can anyone give me an idea of the feasibility and difficulty of doing
> such a port?  I do not have much experience with Apache modules, but I
> understand that there are significant relevant differences between
> Apache 1.x and Apache 2.  Has any such porting work been contributed (I
> realize that it would be unsupported)?

> Any information, advice, and warnings about this would be appreciated.

We decided to not try to support Apache 1.x at the very beginning of the
project and haven't regretted it; the only web servers that we weren't
able to upgrade fairly easily were Oracle web servers.  The Apache 1
module interface is a lot less clear and more annoying to deal with.  We
didn't look at supporting Apache 1 in much depth.

My guess is that it's doable, but probably not trivial.

Technical Lead, ITS Unix Systems and Applications, Stanford University