"Error: you took too long to login" on every attempt

Russ Allbery eagle at windlord.stanford.edu
Wed Apr 4 18:29:51 PDT 2007

Erik Andrew Goldman <egold at stanford.edu> writes:

> Several friends reported that before they had a chance to login, the
> server had told them that they took too long to log in.  When I tried to
> log in from my computer later, it gave me the same error.  Restarting
> apache, deleting the server token cache and keyring, and restarting my
> browser do nothing.  Does anyone have any idea what's wrong?

The clock is probably wrong on your server.  Therefore, when it checks the
token that it gets back in weblogin, it thinks the token has already
expired.  For WebAuth to work properly, the clock has to be within five
minutes of the clock on the weblogin servers.

Technical Lead, ITS Unix Systems and Applications, Stanford University