Catchup with webauth developers?

Russ Allbery eagle at windlord.stanford.edu
Mon Apr 9 19:15:47 PDT 2007

Bradley Beddoes <b.beddoes at qut.edu.au> writes:

> Absolutely, at the end of the day if only QUT uses this solution to meet
> their specific business requirements then thats fine, if some other
> institution can make use of it then thats even better. Our stuff was
> truly past EOL so moving to a new platform made sense for us.

> Additionally as with all universities we wanted to reuse as much
> infrastructure as possible, so flexibility in being able to do that with
> plugins and so forth is there from day one.

That makes a lot of sense, and it's great that you're going to the extra
effort to make it open source!  We wrote our own identity management
system a long while back, largely in Java, but it's not really in a state
to be releasable and supportable as open source.  That's a lot of
additional work.

Our experience with WebAuth was that we had a surprising number of
adopters at other institutions who happened to stumble across it at
exactly the right time for their own internal needs.  You may well run
into the same phenomenon.

> Totally agree with that, each institution will definitely have their own
> preferences for technology stack and that ultimately will effect what
> pieces they choose to deploy.

> Though perhaps its worth noting that ESOE is only required to be Java at
> its central deployment point. It happily interacts using SAML2 and WS
> with SP implementations written in both Java and C++ for
> Tomcat/Apache/IIS(soon). Infact a native .Net implementation is also on
> the roadmap and I would love to see someone do something in PHP or
> Ruby. I am very much pro interoperability for both platforms and
> programming languages so its a pretty core theme in the ESOE design.

That's excellent.  Our issue with Java is that we don't have a lot of Java
programmers on staff in our infrastructure group (almost none), so it's
harder for us to customize and support Java applications as compared to
Perl and C.  (We have even fewer C++ programmers.)  That's going to vary a
*lot* between institutions; I know the CAS folks, for instance, use Java
end-to-end for just about everything.

Technical Lead, ITS Unix Systems and Applications, Stanford University