webauth & filemaker

Emma Pease emma at csli.Stanford.EDU
Tue Feb 6 13:23:39 PST 2007

A friend working on the linguistics web pages had a query involving
webauth.  Any help would be much appreciated (she bakes very dangerous
(to the waistline) brownies).

Emma

------- Forwarded Message

>From sr Sun Feb  4 19:49:13 2007
Subject: webauth & filemaker
To: webauth-info at lists.stanford.edu
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 19:49:13 -0800 (PST)

Dear all,

I'm working on the class registration website for the Linguistic
Institute which will be held at Stanford this summer.

We are using the xsl stylesheet part of Filemaker Server 8 Custom Web
Publishing (which is a customized tomcat) on a Mac OS 10.4.8 machine.
We want to use Webauth for authentication (all participants will be
getting SUNet IDs until the end of the institute), and so we had to
upgrade to apache 2.

Our problem is how to securely pass the WEBAUTH_USER information to
Filemaker. Before we upgraded to apache 2, server side includes were
working, and we were planning to use <!--#echo var="WEBAUTH_USER"-->
to get at the information. But we haven't been able to get SSIs
working again after upgrading - they're working for regular pages
handled just by apache 2, but they no longer work for the xsl pages
handled by apache 2 and tomcat.

As a workaround we considered getting the info from an apache 2 page
and sending it along to a tomcat page. This works fine, but putting it
in the URL or using a hidden form field isn't secure, and I don't know
of any other way to do it.

We followed the instructions in the "Java/Tomcat/mod_jk Integration"
section on this page
http://www.stanford.edu/services/webauth/manual/mod/mod_webauth.html
as far as the configuration goes, but we don't have the Java expertise
to know how to use this part:
<% out.print (request.getAttribute("WEBAUTH_USER")); %>

So I'm wondering if anyone on this mailing list has some java code
sitting around that does what we need, and could share it with me?
Or if anyone has any other suggestions, that would be great too.
We are getting quite desperate, and if someone is able to help out,
there's money to pay for their time.

Many thanks,

- -Susanne

------- End of Forwarded Message