ssl accelerator card

Bruce Vincent bvincent at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 20 16:57:23 PST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 12:47 PM, Jeanmarie Lucker wrote:

> Web Team
> Residential Dining Enterprise is looking at purchasing an ssl
> accelartor card or appliance. I contacted MedIRT, Fletcher C. said
> they were using  BigIP load balancers with an ssl accelerator
> module.  What other groups are using ssl accelerators with WebAuth.
> Is there a recommended product or product that is  your personal
> favorite?

This all assumes the servers are resource limited because of SSL
transactions...

I'd suggest considering an SSL accelerator card.  Both nCiper and
Rainbow make such cards and there are probably others.  What it would
come down to (other than price and performance) is how transparently
they can be setup.  That is, most of these cards have an SSL library
that comes with it that is made to function just like the ones we
know and love/hate in Linux, Windows, Solaris, et al.  That means we
have a prayer of integrating them into the webserver stack with
WebAuth .  There are also a range of performance to these cards in
terms of ssl setup/tear down per minute, etc.

I'm an advocate of testing ssl accelerator cards out for our use or
to inform the campus about how well they integrate with WebAuth, for
example.  We should also be investigating whether the appliances work
so that we can offer that as a reverse proxy service paired with the
loadbalancers.  This is a discussion that has already begun with
Networking on the F5 SSL offering.
Bruce