passing header variable values to remote_user

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 10:50:44 PST 2007

My colleague has set up Webauth to authenticate users before hitting
applications on remote servers, and I wonder if you can help us with
an issue that is preventing the authentication process from working
properly in some cases.

We need to get a user ID passed from a Webauth server into the
remote_user variable on application servers.  We're able to set a
custom variable (http_x_myremote_user) and get the proper ID value,
but when we try and pass this as remote_user (remote_user -->
$http_x_myremote_user), http_x gets prepended to the user ID value,
and the application can't match this string to a user ID.

On the Apache side, our limited understanding of mod_setenvif tells us
that SetEnvIf can be set to a string, but not to the value of a
variable.

What are we doing wrong, and what would be an optimal approach for
passing and getting such variables?

Thank you,
~John