(slightly off topic) Stacking apache authentication modules

Aaron Wilson aaron at sysdev.oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 19 07:54:46 PDT 2007

Firstly, apologies for the for the slightly off topic question.
Feel free to ignore it, if this offends you.

I currently think that in apache 2.2 you can "stack" authentication
modules, and would like to do this. By "stack" I mean that you can
give people a single URL, i.e. http://myhost/private/ but provide
multople authentication methods for this URL, i.e. try Webauth, if
this doesn't work, try Basic Auth.

Specifically I would like to do this with webauth and mod_auth_kerbeos,
so that we can tell people where data is once, allow webauth logins to
this page for web browsers and auth_kerbos logins for robots.

Am I completely wrong in thinking that this is possible (without using
trickery like mod_rewrite), and if it is possible how do you do it ?
(I've seen things like AuthnProviderAlias, but not been able to make
them do what I'd like them to do).

I could of course be completely deluded and/or have completely
mis-read the apache 2.2 manual.

Many thanks

Aaron Wilson