webauthldap(fcocquyt): cannot get ticket: Too many open files (24)

Russ Allbery eagle at windlord.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 5 16:04:54 PST 2009

Fletcher Cocquyt <fcocquyt at stanford.edu> writes:

> Hi, our apache pool started throwing error 500 on privgroup protected
> locations 1-2 days ago and I just increased the logging level and found
> corresponding
>
> webauthldap(fcocquyt): cannot get ticket: Too many open files (24)
>
> Errors ­ anyone seen these before?

I haven't seen it before, but assuming that the error message really is
the error, it looks fairly straightforward: the Apache process is running
out of open file descriptors.  You'll want to either figure out what is
leaking file descriptors (scripts running under mod_php, mod_python,
mod_perl, etc. are the most obvious cultprits) or increase the file
descriptor limit for the process.

Technical Lead, ITS UNIX Systems and Applications, Stanford University