apr_bucket_read() failed on weblogin server

Russ Allbery eagle at windlord.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 13 09:12:43 PST 2009

Guido Günther <agx at sigxcpu.org> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 07:03:11PM +0100, Guido Günther wrote:

>> we're running Debian Etch's webauth 3.5.3-2 and everything is almost
>> working fine. Sometimes out of a sudden when the user gets redirected
>> to the weblogin server's login.fcgi after entering the password the
>> dialog just stalls for a couple of seconds, then the login form is
>> displayed again (without any error message displayed to the user). The
>> weblogin server's logs then have:
>>
>> [Tue Feb 03 15:48:32 2009] [error] [client 192.168.0.1] (104)Connection reset by peer: ap_content_length_filter: apr_bucket_read() failed, referer: https://webauth.example.com/login/?RT=<base64encoded string>

> Nobody seen this before? Can I provide some further information to get a
> aclue on where to start digging?

Had you seen my reply to your original message?

We aren't seeing it, but some Google searching reveals that it's usually
due to a problem with a CGI script not consuming all input.  I'm not sure
how that could be the case with login.fcgi, but at Stanford we always run
it under mod_fcgi, so it's possible that we wouldn't notice.  Are you
using mod_fcgi or running login.fcgi as a traditional CGI script?

Technical Lead, ITS UNIX Systems and Applications, Stanford University