webauth 3.7.3 solaris 10 x86 segfaults

Gary Buhrmaster gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 25 11:59:08 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Russ Allbery
<eagle at windlord.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Gary Buhrmaster <gtb at slac.stanford.edu> writes:
>> Russ Allbery <eagle at windlord.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>>> What version of Apache is this?
>
>> It is the Oracle/Sun Solaris 10 version, claims to be 2.0.63
>> (yes, a rather old base at this point).  I was hoping to avoid
>> having to build my own apache daemon (one less thing to
>> maintain, etc...).  If I run into any more unusual issues I
>> will just give up on that plan.
>
> Thanks!  It's been a while since I tested on Apache 2.0, so it's possible
> that some subsequent change has run afoul of different assumptions in that
> version, so this may well be the correct fix.

To close the loop a bit, while this patch allowed webauth to "load",
it was not sufficient to be able to apply webauth to a directory.  After
finding 6-10 additional null pointer reference issues (one patch at a time),
I decided to stop playing wack-a-mole (I could have been one patch
away from a solution, or a hundred), and built an Apache 2.2 for
Solaris 10 x86 (where I can get webauth to build/work).

So, my current conclusion is that the Sun/Oracle delivered
Apache 2.0 on Solaris 10 x86 is not compatible with webauth
3.7.3.

Solaris 11 ships with Apache 2.2, so I suggest that is going
to be the path/plan forward for that platform.

Thanks.