iPhone App and WebAuth

Aaron Masao Nagao anagao at stanford.edu
Sat Sep 17 13:22:54 PDT 2011

Hello, my name is Aaron Nagao and I'm an app developer for the ASSU (Associated Students of Stanford University). I have limited development experience so I wanted to get some clarification on WebAuth's ProxyPass setup.

I'm writing a native iPhone app, using a developer framework that allows me to write the app in HTML/Javascript yet still access the iPhone camera. I would like to use WebAuth to authenticate its users, as its intended audience is solely Stanford undergraduates (signing up for mailing lists at the Activities Fair).  From what I understand, this might be possible using a Proxy setup/Virtual Host (following the example at https://itservices.stanford.edu/service/kerberos/developer_info).

I envision the app will redirect to a proxy server (say 171.67.216.21/proxy1.stanford.edu), have the student enter his SUID/password at the WebAuth login screen, and then the APP can parse whatever HTTP headers are returned. Is this even possible? If I were to request a virtual host (say ASSUActivitiesFair.stanford.edu), it asks for an actual website address of the content the virtual host should proxy for, but in my case the content would be a native app that is not hosted on the web.

Please clarify any misconceptions I may have, as I am a novice developer. I am simply looking for a way to authenticate SUIDs (so that a student doesn't sign up his friend for hundreds of mailing lists).

Thank you in advance for your time,
Aaron Nagao
ASSU Developer